A meat grinder is an important piece of equipment in any kitchen or business establishment that involves grinding meat. They come in different shapes and sizes making it important for a user to select the best meat grinder that will suit his/her grinding needs. For people that desire a cheap meat grinder, they can go for manual grinders but for convenience, electric meat grinders come in handy.
Ideally, for meat lovers or game hunters it is best to choose a meat grinder that suit their needs depending on the nature and/or intensity of usage. Nonetheless, a meat grinder is important as it helps people avoid buying ground meat from supermarkets and other retail outlets. Anyone who is on a journey to lose weight should consider getting a meat grinder to keep in check of their diet.
A meat grinder also helps a user experiment with different meat textures. However, despite the many advantages of meat grinders, it can be messy of not taken care of well. A poorly maintained meat grinder may lead to bacterial contamination. On the other hand, a well-cleaned and maintained meat grinder produces quality meat that is safe for consumption.
1. LEM Products Big Bite Electric Meat Grinder
- Stainless steel finish
- Quiet gears and upgraded performance
- Number 12 cutting blades
- Large meat hopper
- Steel gears
The LEM product stainless steel Big Bite is a powerful meat grinder in its class. It boasts of having a 1.5HP grinder making it suitable to grind huge pieces of meat.
Despite the power of the grinder, it is quiet than expected while in use. It also comes with a modernized brushed steel finish meaning that no matter the number of times handled it minimizes fingerprints. For the sake of convenience, this meat grinder has an added tray in body to keep a knife and plate storage and an extended auger that pulls more meat in a short time.
Ideally, the riffling pattern in head is a force to contend with, as it tends to push meat forward with less user interaction. The company keeps the user in mind not only with the unique design and capability of the product but also by offering them lifetime customer support and a five year warranty.
2. LEM Products W781A Big Bite Electric #22-Meat Grinder (1-HP)
- Stainless steel motor housing
- Performance; Grinds 13 pounds of meat per minute
- Easy to clean but not dishwasher safe
- Offset; larger diameter throat
- 110 Volts permanently lubricated motor
The LEM W781A is an electric meat grinder from the LEM Company. It comes with an induction motor and runs a capacitor of 10 amps. It is permanently lubricated and a motor of 110V, 60HZ with 750 watts and ETL certified. Has dimensions of 12″ W x 22.5″ L x 19″ H; Dimensions (motor only): 9.25″ W x 17.5″ L x 14.5″ H; Weight: 63 pounds.
Due to the need to move along with technology, the meat grinder is equipped with Big Bite technology where all metal gears are fitted with roller bearings and a hole in head where the pan is inserted. Ideally, the meat grinder has a stainless steel motor housing with a heavy-duty handle for easy moving, a built-in circuit breaker, a stainless steel head and an auger meat pan.
It also includes 1 meat stomper, 1 stainless steel knife, 1 stainless steel stuffing plate, 2 stainless steel plates (Coarse, Fine) and 3 stuffing tubes.
3. Weston 10-2201-W Pro Series #22 Meat Grinder – 1.5 HP Silver
- Powerful, permanently lubricated, air-cooled motor
- Precise engineered gears
- Circuit breaker fitted for safety
- Performance; Grinds 9-12 pounds of meat per minute
- Sausage stuffing kit
The Weston 10-2201 pro series is one of the best meat grinders in its class. It is designed to grind at least 9 to 12 lbs of meat per minute or up to 720lbs in one hour.
Its performance is unrivaled standing at 1.5 HP with an 1125 watt air cooled motor with on, off, and reverse functions. Also, it has an offset head design promoting high speeds and a tray guard to keep the user’s hands safe from any harm.
The design is on top of the range with stainless steel construction with an extra-large oval hopper. As if that is not enough, this meat grinder has an auger grabbing stomper for improved efficiency. It is an ideal grinder for making a wide variety of homemade meat products including sausages, snack ticks, breakfast links, Italian sausages and summer sausages among others since it comes with 10, 20, 30, and 40 mm sausage making funnels.
It has a reverse function, hand guard, and easily dissembles for cleaning and storage.
4. STX -4000-TB2-PD International Turboforce II Electric Meat Grinder – Size #12
- 3 stainless steel cutting blades
- Optional foot pedal control
- Locked motor wattage; 2000 Watts of peak power output
- Performance; Grinds 175 – 225 pounds of meat per hour on high speed
- 3 speed switch system; high, low and reverse
This powerful and unrivaled meat grinder is from the STX International Company. It features a 2000 watts of peak output power with three speeds (high, low, and reverse) and a safety circuit breaker. Also, it comes with optional foot pedal control and a plug grinder into foot pedal control for hands-free use.
It is patented as a quad air cooling system with a grinder that virtually doubles the life of this meat grinder. Comes with 3 Stainless Blades, 5 Grinding Plates, 1 Beaner Plate, Set of 3 Stuffing Tubes and Kubbe Attachment. It is a Size #12 Grinder with a 2-1/2″ Diameter Output for Grinding and a 2″ Diameter Feeding Tube. It can easily handle bones including those of chicken, duck, or rabbit but bigger bones including those of a turkey, lamb, goat or bigger are too big for the machine and voids the warranty.
Nonetheless, it is a meat grinder that will serve the needs of an average user perfectly well.
5. KWS SL-8 Commercial 450W 1/2HP Electric Meat Grinder
- On-Off switch with waterproof cover
- Performance; Grinds 176 pounds of meat per hour
- 4 – Sausage stuffing tube
- High quality stainless steel material
- Stainless steel meat tray
This meat grinder is from the KitchenWare station that specializes in producing high-quality kitchen appliances. The build and the quality of the meat grinder are unrivaled. It is made from pure stainless steel approved by the CE, LFG to promote durability such as avoiding breakages when grinding.
The power is also at the end of the spectrum boasting of 176 lbs of meat per hour to ensure the user grinds a lot of meat in a short time. The 450 watts motor power of ½ HP makes this meat grinder a must have for average users.
Other than the power, the build, and the quality, this meat grinder is easy to clean and operate. It easily meets the needs of restaurants, meat processing shops, deli, butcher shops or grinding game meat. Also, it has two lines of heat dissipation holes on each side of the machine body helping expand its service life. The handle is attached to the top of the unit to offer convenient and steady use.
6. Happybuy Electric Meat Grinder 1.5HP/1100W
- Stainless steel tray
- Performance; Grinds 450 pounds of meat per hour
- Dual heat dissipation design
- Removable grinding head and feeding tray
- Power cord plug anti-shedding
The product is a well-performing meat grinder from the Happybuy Company. It has a power supply of 110V 60Hz, a wattage of 1100W, a speed of the blade of 220RPM and a capacity of 450Ibs per hour. It comes packed with a plastic pusher, a meat tray, 1/4″(6mm) grinder plate, and 5/16″(8mm) grinder plate.
The meat grinder’s motor is sturdy with a 1.5HP power allowing it to handle most types of meat easily. On maintenance, it is an easy meat product to maintain due to its adopted stainless steel material. It is sturdy and durable to use and easy to clean.
The strength and the easy maintenance aspect of this meat grinder make it a suitable product for use in restaurants, supermarkets, fast food stores, and butcher shops to prepare meatloaves and sausages among others.
Lastly, the meat grinder has an upgraded design with heat vent and equipped with high-quality materials. It also has a dual heat dissipation design for extended service life.
7. Ensue Electric Meat Grinder Mincer
- Stainless steel construction
- Two grinding plates
- Offset head design
- Performance; Grinds 396 pounds of meat per hour
- Fine and coarse grinding plates
This meat grinder form Ensure Company is a must have. The bodywork is incredibly designed with stainless steel for easy cleaning, maintenance and durability purposes. It also comes with two grinding plates, the course and fine to promote variations.
The plates ensure that the user is meeting all his/her recipe requirements when dealing with meat and its products. For instance, when making hamburgers and sausages, the best grinding plate is the fine one. Other than the variations of the plates, this grinder has a blade speed of 220 rotations/ min allowing the user to grind a lot of meat within a short time compared to other meat grinders of the same class.
It has overall dimension of 17.9″ x 10.5″ x 14.7”; Gross Weight: 48lbs; FDA Certified. It is an easy to use with no difficulties when grinding meat. It can easily process 50 pounds of meat without missing a beat.
8. Sunmile SM-G50 ETL Max 1.3HP #12 Meat Grinder
- Stainless steel cutting blade
- Detachable aluminium tube and screw
- Circuit breaker; prevent motor burnout
- Performance; Grinds 200 pounds of meat per hour
- Die-cast aluminium grinder head
Sunmile SM-G50 is a powerful meat grinder in its class. It has a powerful and strong motor featuring 350W of rated power and 1000W maximum locked power.
It can grind up to 200 pounds of meat hourly due to its powerful and durable motor and metal gearbox. Also it is large, size 12 and not a small size eight or size five like most kitchen grinders.
The large size of the grinder ensures the user holds it properly while grinding a generous amount of meat. It is made of polished cast aluminum with food grade and ETL certified making it secure for grinding purposes. It is a fully functioning meat grinder to prepare food with three stainless steel cutting plates for coarse, medium, fine grinding meat that makes stuffing and filling.
All cutting plates and cutting blades are dishwasher safe. All accessories include 1 stainless steel cutting blade, 3 various stainless steel cutting plates, 1 plastic food pusher, and 1 Sausage staff maker. It is also easy to use with safety operation that consists of a Key switch of ON/OFF/Reserve making it easy to start and reserve.
9. STX-3000 International Turboforce Electric Meat Grinder & Sausage Stuffer
- 3 stainless steel cutting blades
- 3 hardened steel grinding plates
- Polished cast aluminium grinding head
- 3 sausage tubes and adaptor
- Performance; Grinds 320 to 360 pounds of meat per hour on high speed
The STX international is an extremely powerful meat grinder. It has a 1200 maximum watt electric grinder grinding between 320 and 360 Ibs of meat per hour depending on the size of the grinding plate and the nature of meat being ground. Therefore, you can grind as much meat as possible within a short time.
The size is also another competitive feature of the Turboforce 3000 with size #12 compared to most size #8 and size #5 for most kitchen grinders. It features three speeds including high, low, and reverse including a circuit breaker that promotes the user’s safety. It includes 1 – Size #12 Polished Aluminum (Food Grade) Grinding Head and Meat Hopper, 3 – 304 Grade Stainless Steel Cutting Blades, 3 – Sizes of Grinding Plates, 1 – Beaner (Sausage Stuffing) Plate, 3 – Sizes of Sausage Stuffing Tubes (1/2″, 5/8″ & 3/4″), 1 – Kubbe/Kibbe Making Attachment & 1 – Meat Pusher/Stuffer.
However, this grinder should not be used to grind tendons, vegetables, plants, nuts or fruits. It is a heavy-duty machine but not designed for commercial purposes.
10. KITCHENER Heavy Duty Commercial Grade Electric Stainless Steel High HP Meat Grinder
- Oversize pan and neck
- Stainless steel coarse and cutting knife
- Circuit breaker
- Performance; Grinds 840 pounds of meat per minute
- 3 speed powerful motor; grind, stuff, reverse
The Kitchener heavy-duty commercial grade meat grinder suits almost all commercial needs. It has a steel gear-driven mechanism design and maintenance free air cooled motor making the grinder more powerful and smooth for most of its operations. With a 1 hp (750w) induction motor, it can grind up to 840-lbs of meat per minute. It is also equipped with a circuit breaker to promote safety and efficiency. Ideally, it assures superior safety with a heavy-duty SUS304 stainless steel grinder head, auger, and meat pan.
The meat grinder also has a large capacity stainless meat pan in 15-3/8″x10-3/8″x3″ with an enlarged throat allowing it to hold a lot of meat at once. It has a stainless steel cutting knife, stainless steel coarse (3/8″), fine (3/16″) and stuffing plates, four stuffing tubes (3/8″, 1/2″, 3/4″, 1-1/8″) and solid meat stomper. The patent design of the removable drawer promotes the organization of the grinder accessories.
How to use a Meat Grinder
A meat grinder is a convenient piece of equipment that is used in different settings such as butcheries, shops and grocery stores. They are also becoming common in restaurants since restaurant owners are looking for ways to help them cut their food costs. Nonetheless, many users do not understand how to use this important piece of equipment. The following are major tips of using a meat grinder;
Assembling a Meat Grinder
Although meat grinders may have different configurations based on the brand, most meat grinders have the following order of assembly;
- Rinsing, washing and sanitizing– Prior to assembly, you should properly wash, rinse and sanitize all the meat grinder’s components. After washing, all the parts should be allowed to dry.
- Disconnecting the power cord – It is important to disconnect the power cord prior to assembly to avoid electrocution.
- Placing a T link – The next step is placing the T link into the enclosure on the front of the meat grinder. In this step, it involves tightening the T link into place using a lock screw.
- Inserting the screw – The fourth step involves inserting the screw pushing the bar into the T link. In addition, this step involves rotating the bar and making sure it is all way into the back.
- Adding the blade– Here, there is adding the four-leaf blade onto the screw and pushing the bar with the flat side facing out.
- Placing a round knife– Here, place the round knife on the end of the screw pushing bar while making sure the knife edges are flushing with the edges of the screw-pushing bar.
- Attaching the four-leaf blade – The seventh step involves attaching the four-leaf handle cap to the T link and tightening it.
- Attaching the square plate– The eight-step involves adding the stainless steel square plate to the top of the T link. After this stage, the meat grinder is ready for use.
Using the Meat Grinder
The meat grinder can be used in the following seven easy steps;
- Preparing the meat– The first step involves preparing the meat by removing the skin, bones and silver skin from the meat then cutting the meat into smaller hunks that will fit into the feeding hole.
- Feeding the meat– After cutting the meat into small pieces, it is time to feed the meat into the grinder.
- Placing bowl– The next step involves placing a bowl or a pan beneath the blade to catch the ground meat when it falls out
- Disconnecting the power cord– After finishing to grind the meat, it is time to disconnect the power cord.
- Rinsing, washing and sanitizing– After the grinding exercise, it is time to rinse, wash and sanitize the meat grinder and letting all the parts dry.
- Cleaning the machine body – After washing all the components, it is time to clean the machine body thoroughly with a damp cleaning and sanitizing cloth.
- Lubricating the oil seal– The oil seal of the gearbox should be properly lubricated through the screw hole. The meat grinder requires lubrication at least every six months.
Maintenance of Meat Grinders
Although meat grinders come in different shapes and sizes, the cleaning or the maintenance criteria is the same in all of them with only a few parts varying from one another. The following are some of the basic tips of maintaining and cleaning a meat grinder;
In every preparation exercise of a meat grinder, it is crucial to remove any excess raw meat before dissembling the parts. The next step is taking one or two pieces of bread and putting them inside the feeding tube. The bread, in this case, acts as a sponge and gathers all the meat that would not have otherwise come out manually. The main target residual with this approach is the one on the surface of the blade, the plates or in the feeding tube itself. Although this is not always necessary, it helps in getting rid of contaminated meat residue that may contribute to contamination if left inside the meat grinder.
Clean the Parts
After ensuring there is no meat left in the grinder, it is time to disassemble it for a more thorough cleaning. In case of an electric meat grinder, it is crucial to unplug it before proceeding to avoid electrocution. Afterward, disassemble the removable parts including the grinding screws, the plates, the cutting blade and the blade cover for cleaning. When cleaning, it is crucial to be careful when handling the blade due to its sharpness. Ideally, cleaning a meat grinder by hand is important since the parts can be very sensitive. Although a dishwasher might be used in some instances, it blunts the blades quickly than one might like or expect.
In the cleaning process, using soapy water is the most preferred. The items should then be soaked for at least fifteen minutes to ensure that any additional residual is removed without any problems. After fifteen minutes, the parts should be scrubbed with a sponge to remove residual or grease. In the case of the grinding plate, hopper, and the feeding tube, one should use a bottlebrush to access the hard to reach corners. The cleaning should be thorough since bacteria can easily collect in these parts. However, for electric models, the grinder should not be immersed in water to avoid short-circuiting. After cleaning, dry each part with a clean towel to prevent rusting and then leave it out to dry.
A well-stored meat grinder produces excellent results, and the opposite is true. One of the major concerns among many meat grinder users is avoiding rust and oxidation specifically on the blades and the metal plating. Spreading a thin layer of oil after cleaning and drying the meat grinder prevents rust and oxidation.
In some cases, mineral oil does the work since it does not leave any foul smell that tends to clean on the blade. It also coats the blade evenly. In this stage, one should spray or wipe the parts including screws with the oil and later keep them in a plastic bag. To avoid rusting, rice should be kept inside the plastic bag to absorb moisture that contributes to rusting.
Prior to using the meat grinder after cleaning, spray it with some bleach for disinfection. Ideally, it is important to clean the meat grinder thoroughly before using it. Sometimes one might decide to make their bleach solution using a tablespoon of purely concentrated bleach into a gallon of water and to mix them.
Take Care of the Blade
There exist many misconceptions concerning a meat grinder’s blade. An example of this misconception is that maintaining the sharpness of the blade requires manual sharpening using a stone or such a tool. The truth, the blades increase their sharpness every time a user uses the grinder to grind meat or when the blades rub with the grinding plate.
Nonetheless, using the meat grinder for all types of meat means that one will require sharpening the blades regularly. The sharpening process is tedious and complex making it important to seek the services of a professional sharpener. However, if the blades are not always in use, they can be wrapped with a cloth for later use. Keeping them wrapped with a cloth keeps them from rubbing with other parts of a meat grinder that can affect their sharpness while in storage.
Importance of a Meat Grinder
In many restaurants, they are used to using bought ground meat. However, a business can get numerous benefits from grinding their own meat. The following are some of the most important reasons for investing on a good grinder;
- Cost element– A business that takes time to grind their meat will save the business a lot of money in the long run. It is cheaper to buy huge chunks of meat and then grinding it rather than buying pre-ground meat from the store.
- Control element– A business that grinds its meat has precise control over the ratio of lean and fatty meat leading to production of juicy meat products.
- Taste– Any meat bought from the store has been vacuum-sealed and sprayed with preservatives to lengthen the lifespan. However, grinding your own meat means you get fresher meat that tastes better than bought meat.
- Attachments– A meat grinder has many attachments and add-ons that can add to its functionality. For instance, one can add a sausage stuffer to make sausages.
Factors in Choosing Which Meat Grinder to Buy
Quantity of ground meat- It is important to pick a meat grinder that goes well with the quantity of meat one intends to grind. That is, if you want to commercially use the machine, then it is wise to select a meat grinder with a powerful motor since it will be involved in heavy meat grinding. The grinders come in different designs, size, and dimensions making it important for a user to determine the amount of ground meat
Maintenance- Maintenance is a key factor to consider when purchasing a meat grinder. It is important that you consider the maintenance of some components prior to purchasing a meat grinder. It is also important when choosing a meat grinder; you do not leave any pieces of meat inside the machine since it might contaminate the device. For these reasons, it is important that one pick the tool that is easy to clean and use
The type of meat grinder- There exist many types of meat grinders including, manual meat grinders, meat grinder attachment and stand-alone meat grinders as the three major types of meat grinders available in the market. Economically, a manual meat grinder is the best as it does not use electricity. It works manually. On the other hand, there is the electric meat grinder that operates with the help of electricity making it a not so much economical type.
Budget- Similar to many other items, price is an important consideration when picking a meat grinder. Some meat grinders are expensive while others fall within the budget of many users. It is important to pick a meat grinder that falls within your budget and fulfills all your meat-grinding needs.